Sunday 6 January 2013

1.10 Design Process: Bold

I produced two bold designs of my wave pattern - the first uses an automatic No. 6 pen and acrylic ink on a sponged background (A4);  the second the edge of a 3 inch square sponge and acrylic ink (A3).  

1.1o.1
 1.10.2

I decided to develop the second image as I had already completed some design work on a similar image to the first in an earlier chapter.  

I copied the central section of the second image using my ink jet printer (A4 size).  Unfortunately, my colour cartridge was running out so the resultant image had no blue in it.  This is another one of those happy accidents as I quite liked the colour scheme of reds, yellows, pinks and oranges.

1.10.3

In the first image I cut the copied image into rectangles and rearranged them; overall I don't think this was successful although cutting the larger image into smaller rectangles highlighted some bold shapes within the individual rectangles which I liked, such as  bottom row 2nd from the left.   

1.10.4

I then cut an image into long narrow strips and off-set the individual strips, framing the central section.  Here I liked some of the combination of strips (3-5 and 7-9), both in terms of colour and shapes.  It has the feeling of a galaxy and supernovas to me.  

1.10.5

My third image is the A4 copy cut into diamond shapes, with the two vertical edges left intact to hold the shapes together.  I liked the repeat colours in this image.  

1.10.6

My final image is made up of 30 degree triangular segments re-arrange in an abstract manner, with some segments overlapping.  Again, the framed central portion is shown.  I liked the repeated red triangles in this image which I feel revolve around the central yellow area.  

This chapter has made me realise how cutting up an image can highlight specific new shapes and images within a defined section, which perhaps you may not have noticed in the larger overall image.  It has also emphasised how rearranging an image can create exciting new shapes or colour combinations.  



No comments:

Post a Comment