Sunday 27 January 2013

1.12 Towards an Embroidered Item (1)

I decided to continue my theme of looking through layers and to build up the background.  I took some hand-dyed blue tissue paper (approximately A3 size) and applied some Bondaweb which I had painted in three different colours (Autumn Gold, Sundown Magenta and Moon Violet) using Pearlescent Liquid Acrylic.  

 1.12.1
I then layered some translucent fabric pieces across the right-hand side of the fabric (lace, organza, etc) and laid some long strands of cotton floss across the left-hand side, secured under a chiffon scarf.  I bonded all the layers together using a hot iron.  


1.12.2
I then machined stitched some wavy lines across the fabric fairly randomly to provide another layer.  Although not clear in the photograph I using different coloured threads bobbin threads to create a different effect in certain areas of the fabric.  


1.12.3
1.12.4 (Detail)
1.12.5 (Detail)

To show more effectively the layers, the next image is the fabric held up against a window. 

1.12.6
I decided to use one of the abstract shapes I had produced in Chapter 9.  I actually combined two of the shapes together and when moving them about I created a third 'S' shape in the negative space which was quite interesting.   I traced both the positive and negative shape onto tissue paper and machined round the edges so that I could cut out the shapes.  Unfortunately, my sewing machine decided to breakdown after machining three or four shapes, however, rather than stop and interrupt my flow as the fabric was bonded together, I could continue to cut out the shapes without the edges coming apart.  I then began to re-arrange the shapes in various combinations to see the effects.  

1.12.7
1.12.8
1.12.9
I particularly like the next three images which somehow remind me of the pier support structure at the coast.   
1.12.10
1.12.11
1.12.12
The next two images are the original positive and then the negative shape placed randomly as an image to look at a further abstract effect.  Although I say random, there is of course, some conscious or sub-conscious placing of the shapes in order to achieve some form of harmony in either colour or shape or both.  

1.12.13
1.12.14
This is the last exercise before I start working towards my proposal for an embroidered three dimensional piece.  I have found the exercises very useful as they have opened my eyes in finding new shapes, ideas or colour combinations from unexpected sources.  Before I started all the exercises I had a certain end-piece in mind whilst now that has changed to a considerable degree.  

No comments:

Post a Comment